New! eBikes are a great way to go further and have more fun on a bike at Grand Canyon! We offer Class 1 eBikes, (the Electra Townie) that are also known as “pedal assist”. A pedal assist eBike it is a win, win. You continue to get the same thrill of riding a traditional bike combined with extra power in the pedals to help up the hills! Average battery range is 25-40 miles depending on your setting. If your bike runs out of battery power prior to returning to our shop, you can continue to pedal the bike manually.
eBikes Make & Models Available:
- Electra Townie 8d Go!
- Small/ Medium sized bikes (17″ Step thru frames which fit 5’0″-5’9″ heights)
- Large sized bikes (19″ frames which fit 5’10”-6’3″ heights).
- NO YOUTH sized frames are available. The youngest age riders allowed to rent will be 12 years old IF the person is a minimum of 5’0″ tall & is a proficient rider. We will conduct quick safety test ride before the rider departs to determine proficiency on the eBike Any rider unable to safely test ride will not be allowed to rent the eBikes.
- NO TRAILERS: We will NOT attach any child trailers or tag- along equipment to the eBikes.
Our eBike rates are not based on age. These are the rates for 12+ with a min. height of 5 feet.
- Full Day : $87 + tax (5+ hours, same day, return by closing time 5pm) RESERVATIONS recommended, reserve below!
- Half Day : $68 + tax ( 5 hours, same day, return by closing time 5pm/4pm mid Oct)
- Hourly $16.50 per hour
- Walk up service will require a credit card to rent the eBikes.
Due to limited supply, we highly recommend reserving your bike. Walk-up reservations are possible if bikes are available on a first-come-first-serve basis. PLEASE NOTE! If you don’t see availability on the date you are trying to book for it means it is SOLD OUT! We do not have a waitlist. You can keep checking in to see if cancellations have happened. We keep a portion of the fleet for walk up bike rental reservations, and we suggest coming on the day of your visit to see if you can rent bikes. (No walk up availability for tours unless there are last minute cancellations).
Frequently Asked Questions:
What is an ebike?
An electric bicycle also known as an ebike is a bicycle with an integrated electric motor which can be used for propulsion. Many kinds of e-bikes are available worldwide, from e-bikes that only have a small motor to assist the rider’s pedal-power (i.e. pedelecs) to more powerful e-bikes which are closer to moped-style functionality. All retain the ability to be pedalled by the rider and are therefore not electric motorcycles. (Sourced from wikipedia)
Where can we go on bikes?
You are allowed on all the bike routes and roads around the park. Since the ebike makes riding far easier, you can do longer routes like the “Yellow Route”. Bare in mind the battery range of your bike before requiring recharge is 20-30 miles. Bikes can be pedaled manually if batteries run out. See map for details.
Are eBikes Safe?
Yes. This is not a throttle based bicycle like a motorcycle. Pedal assist means the faster you pedal, the faster you go. So you are completely in control of your speed. You should always exercise extra caution when you’re approaching pedestrians or other bicycles. You have to follow all the same signaling techniques and rules of the road that you would with a regular bike.
Why are they so much more expensive than regular bikes?
Simply put, they are far more expensive to buy, assemble and maintain. We do often hear that after renting an eBike that individuals went home to research purchasing their own because they realized they are completely worth the money!
Can eBikes be taken on shuttle buses?
No. We don’t transport ebikes on our shuttle nor are they allowed on the NPS bus’s. This is because they’re much heavier and more likely to incur damage to you or the bicycle during loading and unloading. We don’t think you’ll want to load it onto any vehicle however, these beauties are so fun to ride, you’ll want all the riding you can squeeze in.