Conservation + Community
1% For Good
When we started this business we had a desire to see it contribute in some way to “the greater good”. From the get-go, we knew being intentional about this desire would mean deliberately setting aside a small portion of our business’s income for conservation. Our chosen organization to donate to, the Grand Canyon Conservancy, turned out to have a very instrumental role in conserving the wildlife, scenery and culture of our own Park. Watch the video below to find out more about this great non-profit organization!
Local & Sustainable
The Bright Angel Bicycles Cafe at Mather Pt is proud to offer park visitors healthy meals that are delicious, healthy, and locally sourced. We feel that locally sourced fare arrives fresher, requires less fossil fuel use to transport, benefits the local communities, and provides visitors with a tangible connection to the people and cultures of Northern Arizona. For the 2012 season we’ve featured:
- Sandwiches, salads, and burritos from Eat N’ Run llc in Flagstaff, AZ. Eat N’ Run llc features regional meats and cheeses, as well as seasonal produce from Flagstaff Farmers Market
- Batch roasted coffees from nearby Phoenix coffee roasters
- All of our dairy is supplied from Shamrock Farms family owned dairy farm in Queen Creek, AZ
During the Grand Canyon’s centennial celebration, we brain stormed to find a way to contribute to the celebrations of Parks in a memorable and lasting way. We funded the development of bikeyourpark.org, a beautiful catalog of bike rides around the country in National Parks. This website serves a way to encourage visitors who rode bikes inside Grand Canyon to seek out new places to get out and ride! The more people we get on bikes, the better! Better for our parks, better for our planet!
Doing Our Part
It’s true that living and working at Grand Canyon has it’s challenges but there are definite benefits to spending a season (or more) working with us.
- Our employee housing is very affordable and our wages are competitive, so spending a season working with us can be a great way to save money!
- We have a shared tip pool and between the cafe and bike shop your hourly wages can be impressive in the busy summer months
- You have easy access to one of the world’s seven natural wonders, and if you’re into hiking or photography it’s a golden opportunity to rack up an incredible portfolio of experiences and photos
- You’ll make new friendships that last a lifetime… living with your coworkers can have it’s challenges but if you see it as an opportunity to get to know new people and make new friends. The Grand Canyon community as a whole is very tight knit because it’s so small, so you’ll meet people outside of our company too!
- You have the opportunity to really make a difference in people’s vacations and ultimately their life. Many people save for years to do a trip to the Grand Canyon, and your warm smile, friendly advice and passion for the area can truly affect the way they feel about their experience.
Take Biking Home
Especially since introducing eBikes to our fleet, we often hear the exuberant reports back from visitors who went home after their bike ride at Grand Canyon and took up biking. Some as a new passion and some even as a new mode of transpiration. We like to think that getting people out on great bikes in the context of excellent pathways and roads enables people to reacquaint themselves with a vision and new sense of capability regarding cycling. Through the years we’ve had the privilege of converting many, many guests into bike commuters after they arrive home. And that makes us (and our planet) smile!
Each year we try to participate in the local parades, bike-a-thons, kid’s bike workshops and community rides. We have donated used fleets to the Navajo Nation, to school districts in Phoenix and Tucson and also to domestic abuse shelters. We are always looking to do more!
Have an Idea?
Please send us ideas on ways that you envision us being a bigger help to the community. Also if you know of an organization that can benefit from used bikes during our fleet turn overs, we are always open to new suggestions. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
We always recommend reservations whenever possible. Walk-up availability is on a first-come-first-serve basis and is on a weather-dependent basis in the winter months.
Bright Angel Bicycles & Cafe
10 S. Entrance Road
Grand Canyon, AZ, 86023
Bright Angel Bicycles & Cafe at Mather Point is an authorized concessioner of the National Park Service, Dept. of the Interior. All prices and services are regulated by NPS.