Doing Our Part
Bright Angel Bicycles is committed to doing our part in making Northern Arizona and the Grand Canyon a place we’ll be proud to hand down to future generations. In addition to implementing sustainable business practices, Bright Angel Bicycles participates in community outreach programs for local youth and supports organizations involved in conservation and restoration work.
Environmental Business Practices
Bright Angel Bicycles is committed to operating in the most sustainable manner possible and is constantly looking for ways to improve our business practices. We understand that it is our responsibility to embrace business practices that have a net positive impact on the environment thus enhancing the park for future generations. It is an enormous responsibility, but critically important and attainable. Highlights for 2015 include:
- Diverting over 7,500 lbs of mixed recyclables from the waste stream
- Provided a full fleet of employee bicycles which have logged over 250 commutes so far this year
- Outfitted the Cafe at Mather Pt and Bright Angel Bicycles employee housing with new Energystar equipment and appliances
- Placed a second alternative fuel vehicle into service adding B20 capable shuttle vehicle to the fleet!
Local and Sustainable Fare
The Bright Angel Bicycles Cafe at Mather Pt is proud to offer park visitors healthy meals that are delicious, healthy, and locally sourced. We feel that locally sourced fare arrives fresher, requires less fossil fuel use to transport, benefits the local communities, and provides visitors with a tangible connection to the people and cultures of Northern Arizona. For the 2012 season we’ve featured:
- Sandwiches, salads, and burritos from Eat N’ Run llc in Flagstaff, AZ. Eat N’ Run llc features regional meats and cheeses, as well as seasonal produce from Flagstaff Farmers Market
- Batch roasted coffees from Firehouse coffee roasters in Prescott, AZ. Firehouse coffee roasters sources unique, high quality beans from around the world with a focus on smaller, fair trade and organic plantations. FireHouse roasters is a certified organic roaster.
- All of our dairy is supplied from Shamrock Farms family owned dairy farm in Queen Creek, AZ
Each year Bright Angel Bicycles works with Arizona schools to help get students out in the field and on a bike. In 2012 we worked with students and teachers from Empire High School in Tucson and Sanders High High School from the Navajo Nation.We are looking forward to debuting an artist’s program. Learn more about it here.